Only Theo Panayides Has Wings

This is a blog about Theo Panayides, the cyprustician online critic that writes reviews of movies old and new on his website (http://leonardo.spidernet.net/Artus/2386/). He is very good. In fact, he is awesome. It is also an exercise for my english-writing abilities, as I'm from Brazil.

Name:
Location: Goiânia, Goiás, Brazil

Friday, May 27, 2005

Deep Thoughts

*Apparently, on this Website, you can actually download great stuff like "His Girl Friday", "Charade", "D.O.A.", etc, legally, and at pretty high speeds. Thank you, GreenCine Daily, with all my heart, for showing me The Path. Anyone know if there's any other movies I should consider watching on that site? Recommendations, please, thanks.

*Apparently, Cannes was "solid", but not "great!". That may well be true, but with stuff like "Hidden", "Last Days", "Manderlay", "The Child", "Broken Flowers", "Tale of Cinema", "The Wayward Cloud" and etc, I can't help but get excited for the next Sao Paulo Film Festival in November (yeah, I live in a Third World country, we get stuff here after everyone else does, thanks for the sympathy), even though it's not dead set that all of these are gonna be showing. Hell, if we get "Hidden", I'm satisfied -- the trailer for this is so badass it's almost disgusting.

*Apparently, Theo gave Primer a 71. I wonder what he did with the rest of the 86 points it deserves. Maybe he'll add them later, after further consideration (ok, I'll wait for the review). He also smashed (THEO SMASH!) some obscure german (or is it?) movie with a vicious 10. Poor "MIN FEVGEIS" director. (Maybe in the future I'll actually make an interesting comment on Theo's site and criticism. Maybe)

*Apparently, Ryan Wu's recent postings on his blog about the subject of "Helper Guys", and the subsequent comments, are awesome. Hey, how about Peter Parker in "Spider-Man" and the sequel? It's a very clear case of Helper Guy-ness. Sam Shepard in "Days of Heaven"? Etc.

*Apparently, This is very useful. Props to the Jasonmeister Overbeckster.

*Apparently, Mike D'Angelo graded compatriot Fernando Meirelles' "The Constant Gardener" a 46. I read the entire shooting diary that Fernando kept on a brazillian site and had some hopes that it would turn out good (though it never really sounded particularly good), but I wuz wrong, or so it seems. Bummer.

*Apparently, I have seen only seven movies this month so far, while April was much more productive with a healthy mark of 23. What's happening to me? Am I getting sick of movies? Where have my movie-cravings gone? Is this a yearly-"vacation"-thing that cinephiles go through that I haven't gotten used to yet? Last movie I saw was a rewatch of "Far From Heaven" (which is very good, a 70). Maybe things will pick up again once I see another masterpiece or something.

*Apparently, a friend, at this exact moment, just gave me an idea for a possibly brilliant sci-fi comedy/drama. Thanks, friend.

*Apparently, no word yet on the possible Secret Movie Geek Chat Group location. Why I should be invited: I'll bring the "latin-american flavour" the SMGCG surely needs. And I promise not to invite anyone else (unless I'm bribed).

*This post is over (apparently).

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The best single of the year is actually The Game's "Hate It or Love It." Or maybe Hal's "Play the Hits." the Doves' album is Disappointing.

11:10 AM  
Blogger Luis Calil said...

"Some Cities" is ok, pretty decent, but "Black and White Town" really stands out, along with "Walk in Fire" and "The Storm".

"B&WT" is like some kind of masterpiece, kinda sounds bland at first, but with repeated listenings it turns out angsty and uplifiting and electrifying at the same time. Or maybe it's just me.

Also, Bloc Party's "Like Eating Glass".

12:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

band music myspace.com

1:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home